Monday, February 7, 2011

Step One

The First step in addiction is That we admit we are powerless over debt (shopping) - That our lives have become unmanagable. I have to admit that this one is hard. I don't like being powerless over anything so I have to believe that I can get my power back, the question is how....maybe these steps will see the way.

Here are the questions that were posted:
1. What does it mean to be powerless over shopping that you are unable to manage life?

It means that I am in deep shit. That I am afraid to even leave my house, but even that is not enough because the internet now provides me with a means, though it is not instant gratification and that does help some. It means that I am letting some of my duties go to the wayside and forgetting about important things.

2. How far do you have to go to hit bottom? Do you shop alone so no one can see how much you are spending? Do you hide items so no one will know you you've been shopping?

I have to go pretty low. We filed bankruptcy this year because of my spending debt. I have a need that is like an awful scratch that must be itched, but instead I itch it until it bleeds. I prefer shopping alone or with my kids, they are good and don't say anything as long as I buy them something, which I fear is going to perpetuate the addiction to another generation. I do hide items, but my husband is observant as well as my mom so they usually catch me.

3. Have you ever felt like trying to use self will to control your shopping is like trying to put a fire out with gasoline? Explain.

YES!!!! When my cards were taken away, the urge became 10 times worse. I feared that I would actually need something and not have the money for it....No that is not true. I feared that I would find something that I believed I absolutely had to have - like an amazing pair of boots that were on sale for an unbeatable price and I wouldn't be able to get them.

There you have it. I am powerless. Don't like it, won't stand for it, but I have to figure out how to get the power back. Check back next Monday for step 2

No comments:

Post a Comment